As we head into this year’s amazing summer holiday, be sure to have the following products to ensure you protect your skin as optimally as possible and maintain the results you have worked so hard for!
The importance of a great quality and correctly formulated SPF50 cannot be emphasized enough! We are aware of the importance of protection from the harmful rays of UVA and UVB, however we cannot forget about the other factors that cause harm to our skin and increase the risks of cancer and premature aging.
Research has shown that damage in the skin is not only from UVA and UVB, however blue light and infrared radiation-A can be worse and more intense than UVA. Sources of blue light include the sun, mobile phones, computers, laptop, tablets, and TVs screens, as well as fluorescent and LED lighting.
Infrared Radiation-A (IR-A) is what provides that warm sensation from the sun or even while cooking, so do not forget to apply SPF even when you are at home.
One of my favorite sun protection brands is Heliocare 360, this amazing SPF has an ingredient called Fernblock® FC that is a powerful antioxidant. When applying antioxidants to the skin, they prevent and repair DNA damage to prevent premature skin aging and allow for your cells to function optimally as there are less free radicals in the skin.
For those of you who need more protection and are outdoors A LOT, or have hormonal pigmentation, Zinc oxide is a natural sun blocker that stays on your skin for hours when in the water and is a prominent ingredient that should be applied over your favorite SPF. At Atlantic Dermatology and Laser, we have Zinc Sticks that are 100% Australian made and have been tested to meet the harsh conditions of our sun, snow, wind, and waters.
As you can see a great quality SPF for your body and especially your face, neck, chest, and hands, is the first must have, non-negotiable product on my list!
My recommendation: Heliocare 360 range for the face followed by Zinc oxide and the body spray for a quick and easy reapplication.
The second important item would be antioxidants, here are five main reasons for you to always use an antioxidant such as a high-quality Vitamin C serum in the morning:
- Antioxidants help prevent sunburn. All antioxidants have anti-inflammatory properties and repair DNA damage. The importance of a high-quality antioxidant can reduce your skin’s inflammation, preventing sunburn and providing enhanced protection against sun damage and photoaging.
- Antioxidants prevent premature aging as oxidative stress breaks down collagen and hinders the skin’s natural repair process, and do not forget that it can cause inflammation.
- Antioxidants not only help the skin repair itself but can stimulate the production of collagen as well!
- Antioxidants help brighten skin tone, as free radicals and frequent sun exposure can also trigger changes in our skin’s melanin production, causing dark spots and uneven skin tone. Antioxidants can help prevent abnormal skin pigmentations. Some antioxidants (again, like vitamin C) also work as a tyrosinase (an enzyme that stimulates melanin production) inhibitor.
- Antioxidants may help prevent skin cancer, such as vitamins A, C and E, have anti-carcinogenic properties and may help prevent skin cancer.
Fine lines, wrinkles, loose skin, acne breakouts and a blotchy skin tone, antioxidants can help prevent and correct these visible signs and give skin a more youthful glow.
My recommendation: SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF / IS Clinical Super Serum
Another important ingredient and function to the skin is Hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is the body’s natural hydrator that helps bind moisture to the skin. Hydrating the skin replenishes nutrients the skin needs to feel smooth and appear younger. With a correctly formulated high quality of Hyaluronic acid your skin feels supple and smooth, it enhances the benefits of a daily moisturizer while providing optimal hydration without clogging pores.
My recommendation: SkinCeuticals B5 Hydrating serum / IS Clinical Hydra-Cool
Speak to one of our specialists about how we can help you with pigmentation.
Written By Specialist Dermatologist Dr Vanessa Lapiner
Dr Vanessa Lapiner is a specialist dermatologist with key interests in dermatological surgery, the field of mole mapping and dermo-cosmetology. A curious mind, analytical aptitude and appreciation of subtle clinical clues make for an expert diagnostician while patients respond to her gentle and unhurried care, focusing always on the patient rather than on the disease.